our history

Secondary Title

The Body of Christ Seventh-Day Adventist church got its humble beginnings in 1947 when a small group of six people gathered for worship  in the home of Sister Addie L Hatcher. The small group worshipped at this location for three months and then relocated to the Phyllis Wheatley Community Center on Douglas street. The first pastor was Elder James Mosley.  The group began worshiping in a small tent on Hanna street.  They later purchased a small building for $6,000 on the corner of Hanna and Masterson Streets. Here it obtained the name

Hanna Street Seventh-Day Adventist Church.

through the years

Church membership grew. The church purchased property adjacent to the church. In 1970 a new church was erected at 1902 Hanna Street.  In 1984 under the pastoral leadership of Jackson M Doggette, the church was renamed the Body of Christ Seventh-Day Adventist Church.

In 2011 the church completed the expansion of the church adding a new sanctuary, bathrooms and classrooms. The old sanctuary is now serving as our fellowship hall.